Symes Street & Millard is dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of the lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer (LGBTQ) community. Whether you are facing discrimination in the workplace or being denied a public service, we offer passionate but practical legal representation.
Lawyer Marcus McCann has deep ties to his communities, and has worked for queer and feminist causes both inside and outside of legal settings. He provides legal advice to queer and trans people in a variety of arenas.
Some of the firm’s recent work includes:
- Appearing at the Supreme Court of Canada in Trinity Western University v. Law Society of Upper Canada, a controversial case about a Canadian law school that would effectively bar LGBTQ students from attending.
- Launching a human rights challenge against the Ontario government for its refusal to afford Ontarians the option of selecting Male, Female or Non-Binary on their birth certificate.
- Calling out the Toronto Police Services’ use of undercover officers to ticket park cruisers and men who have sex with men in Marie Curtis Park.
- Winning the release of secret documents that the Ontario government used to prosecute HIV-positive people in criminal non-disclosure cases.
- Appearing before the Supreme Court of Canada in Saskatchewan (Human Rights Commission) v. Whatcott, a case involving a religious extremist handing out anti-homosexual fliers in Saskatchewan.
Check out the recent profile in Precedent Magazine of lawyer Marcus McCann’s contributions towards furthering LGBTQ rights.
Our firm helps LGBTQ people in the areas of employment, human rights, Constitutional law, civil litigation, commercial disputes, administrative and regulatory proceedings, privacy matters, and other areas of importance to LGBTQ communities. If you are facing discrimination on the basis of your sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity and would like to discuss your options, please click the link below.